Saturday, July 18, 2009



Tools I used:

  • a bunch of allen wrenches (t-handle, L-bar and socket)
  • torque wrench


Learning and informational resources:

I would not have been as confident I could do this service myself if it was not for the ca-cycleworks videos. Thanks Chris!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vzPZ84ZRjU

Here are the things I learned:

With the covers off and plugs out. I spun the back wheel in top gear to line up the pulleys.

Belt Replacement - Removal Steps:

  1. Remover sparkplugs
  2. Put finger over the plug hole on the horizontal cylinder by the front wheel once you feel pressure pushing at your finger then line up the pulley marks.
  3. Double check everything lines up.
  4. Loosen the tensioner bolts
  5. Slip horizontal belt off the pulley on the cam
  6. Remove belt
  7. Slip vertical belt off the pulley on the cam
  8. Remove belt

Belt Replacement - Installation Steps

  1. The crank pulley should be in the same spot it was when you removed the belts (check the mark lines up)
  2. Use you fingers to line up the cam pulley with the mark
  3. Slip vertical belt on to the pulley on the cam
  4. Carefully get the belt around the crank pulley without letting the cam pulley move.
  5. Pull the tensioner in and lightly tighten to hold it in place till you check the tension
  6. Line up the horizontal cam pulley
  7. Slip belt over it and the slip belt over the cam pulley

Belt Replacement - Setting Tension on the belts

  1. Set the tension by feel
  2. Make sure you can push down on the belt and it will move off the idler.
  3. Use a 5mm and 6mm hex wrench. The 5mm should slide between the belt and idler and the 6mm should be pretty hard. (watch video)
  4. I also used the 45 degree method. I read you should be able to twist the belt 45 degrees

I feel that with so many people using the 5mm hex method I should be fine. The belts that where on there were looser but close to the hex tension.

















No comments:

Post a Comment