Monday, July 20, 2009

5 Oil Change





Tools I used:

  • allen socket for the drain plug
  • rubber mallet to tap the socket wrench to prevent striping it
  • sears rubber belt wrench for filter
  • torque wrench


Parts needed:

  • Repsol 4T Synthetic Blend 1 LTR 10w 40 $14.99 x 3
  • OEM oil filter $12.99
  • Drain plug washer
  • Every other oil change get the washers needed to clean the screen and re torque plugs

Learning and informational resources:

I would not have been as confident I could do this service myself if it was not for the ca-cycleworks videos. Thanks Chris!
CA Cycleworks Oil Change video


Oil Change steps:

  1. Run the bike to get the oil warm
  2. loosen the drain plug
  3. drain oil
  4. Remove the filter
  5. let oil drain ( lower rear stand if you have one to make sure you get all the oil out)
  6. Fill new filter and wiper oil on the rubber seal
  7. tighten as tight as you can by hand and then give then slightest turn with the oil filter wrench.
  8. re torque drain plug (use new crush washer).
  9. re fill once you have it to the right spot on the viewing window I start the bike for a minute.
  10. Then top off the oil if needed.
  11. Ride
  12. Check for leaks and check the oil level again


I changed the screen last oil change. I will add these steps next oil change.







 



 






No comments:

Post a Comment